Tuesday, January 16, 2007
Then respond to three prompts posted by classmates. Put your initials on your reponses along with the meeting time: English 201A or English 201B, 10-12 or 1-3.
1. Why is writing important? What can you do because you are literate, that is, able to read and write?
2. Is it possible to be objective? Why not?
3. Words are powerful. When are we responsible for the lives we impact or the situations we create with language?
4. Have you ever been at a loss for words? Is this the situation that erupts into violence?
5. Human beings are multilingual, we speak with more than our mouths. Describe a situation where someone communicated something to you using inaudible language.
6. In communication there is always an audience. One can generally tell when he or she is being spoken to, whether that is an advertisement or a friendly greeting from an aquaintance. How do you know when you are the intended audience?