Tuesday, March 20, 2007

 

Links to news sites about the war 4 years later

News about the War against Terrorism 4 years later

At the website: http://www.usatoday.com type "Iraq 4 years later" then scroll down for stories which look at the conflict from a variety of perspectives: Iraqis, the military, President Bush, American citizens....

Homework for Wednesday, March 21
Yesterday we spoke about Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and some of the themes and references in the text. I found some very good supplementary websites that might prove useful in understanding the period Shelley was writing from.

We are also writing an essay tomorrow in class from WWT: Description. Please take a moment to look at the themes (68-69). Homework was to read the Steinbeck essay (90-98, which includes Chapter 2 1/2). Answer all questions. English 201 1-3 p.m. had to also read the Say, It's Milo essay and also answer all questions. We will read the Winstead Burgers essay together in class, answer any lingering questions about the description essay and then respond with one of our own.

Make certain you pay attention to the What About Your Writing sections.
In the English 201, 1-3 class we used A Promise in a Lunch Pail theme to reflect on our own relationship(s) with a parent(s) and the symbol that represents that relationship.

The actual assignment was to identify and discuss a symbol that represents Mary Shelley's relationship with either her father, husband or siblings. (Use the essay in WWT as a sample.)

These links are about Frankenstein
http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/frankenstein/themes.html

http://www.bookrags.com/notes/frk/

http://www.webenglishteacher.com/shelley.html


(Post the Cyber-essay due today on the war where the assignment is given, not here. Include your email address so I can respond.)

Comments:
Usually when people think about a haunted house they imagine ghosts roaming the halls, objects moving in the air and creepy whispering voices emerging out of no where that make the hair¡¯s of your back stand up. Of course the outside has to look creepy and in a bad condition to realize the house is haunted. It has to look antique with spider webs hanging down from every corner and the coat paint of the house looks rusty and in critical conditions. But in my case, the house I visited was the total opposite of a haunted house whose image from the outside looks creepy. The house I once stepped foot in was all freshly painted with a crisp white coat and ready for any costumer to buy. There were absolutely no signs of any spider webs producing or emerging. The front yard was all well maintained and there was even a cute small little garden with fresh lily¡¯s and yellow tulips growing in the front. It all looked so perfect and brilliant.
How ever, the inside was not to perfect as the exterior was. Yes, it was well cleaned and vacuumed but it contained an unbelievably putrid smell. At first the smell was hard to recognize because it had a mixture of rottenness and something dead. I figured it could be a rat that was hidden somewhere dying and hadn¡¯t been discovered yet. The awkward thing about it was that the aroma only hit you when you were in the kitchen area. There was also a sensation, that someone was watching you from every corner of the house. The energy in there was tremendously perplexed among everyone.
I specifically remember going inside a room of the house and sitting down in the bed that was left for display. I was sitting there with my two cousins checking the room out when suddenly I felt the touch of someone grasping my ankle. I did not react immediately because I thought it could have been my cousins plying around trying to scare me but when I looked at them they were all in front of me. I checked the bottom of the bed intensively but realized that the gap in between the bed and the floor was excessively small for any one to fit through there. When I realized what I had discovered I immediately departed from the room, leaving behind my bag and cousins in the room. Without noticing in my way out, I was out of the house and inside my car. I stood there for the rest of the tour around the house determined to leave but I was not allowed because I had to wait for the rest of the group and leave with them.
Later on that day I tried commenting the incident to my family but naturally they didnt believe me. After that day I decided not to make it a big deal so I tried forgetting about it but the truth is that it still comes back to haunt me in my sleep at night. Frequently I have beggining to dream weird dreams that are very hard to explain. For example sometimes I when I wake up in the middle in the night I open my eyes and try to move but I find myself incapable of moving. It was as if I was frozen stiff and my body was peralized. And sometime I can feel my body being stached with an enormous weight on top of me.
Many people might think that i'ts make believe but if you stop and think, Why would I want to write something that's made up it's not affecting you and it certainly wouldn't affect me if I was lying. I just would'nt get nothing out of lying.

Mary Perez
Heart2breaker2000@yahoo.com
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?