Tuesday, December 04, 2007

 

Assessment

Today, in a free write students told me what specific areas they'd like me to look at when reading their essays. For example, a student might be concerned about organization and the use of evidence to support claims.

Students also told me if they'd like examples of certain types of essays for their edification. Most did.

I reviewed the Writing Process with students (Hacker 2-57), just in case students were not familiar with that section of the book where Hacker reviews the types of paragraphs (applicable to types of essays). We spoke about the similarity between paragrasphs and essays. Paragraphs have topic sentences, the equivalent in an essay is a thesis. Paragraphs have a conclusing sentence, essays have a conclusion. Paragraphs have supportive sentences that prove the topic sentence; essays have supportive paragraphs which prove the thesis. One is a microcosm of the other. Similar to a well told story, paragraphs also have a beginning, middle and an end.

I also reminded students of earlier class meetings where we reviewed rhetorical strategies like definition, narration, examples, cause and effect, problem/solution and of course, argument (42-51). I believe everything is an argument and the other rhetorical strategies are ways writers address certain issues or topics depending on the audience, purpose and topic. We spoke about coherence and the importance of transitions (Hacker 50-56).

I reminded students about the essay responses to The Lottery, I gave you earlier this semester. If you don't remember the student essays, one had a thesis and the other essay was what we call "plot summary."

I don't mind giving students copies of essays, but if you have Hacker, look at the section first. There is also an example of a student essay that needs editing (Hacker 30-33), and the same essay revised (Hacker 34-38)

We also discussed plans for the dinner party next week at Delancey Street Restaurant in San Francisco, Thursday, Dec. 13, 6 p.m. Let me know if you'd like to go and how many will be in your party, so I can make a reservation.

Homework is completing the Guy essays by next week. I will give you the portfolio information by Thursday. We are meeting in the smaller room between the labs.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?