Monday, August 25, 2008

 

First Full Week of Classes

Welcome to week 2. Class this morning got off to a great start. We reviewed the Adler essay (if you were not in class last week and missed the assignment, I left copies of the essay in the bin outside my office (L-236). If the door (L-235) is locked or closed ask the teacher in the Writing Center to unlock it for you. Most likely it's unlocked, just shut, knock and enter. Everyone knows my office is inside the middle room. I gave the morning class a tour, so you understand what I am talking about. Right now, my office hours are MW, 9:30-10:50 and W afternoon, 3-4 by appointment and Th 1-2 by appointment.

Thanks Ernest for calling me to tell me you would be absent; I asked about you. Next time call a classmate also. I listened to the message after class.

Homework is to develop an essay plan for your first essay on Change. There are handouts you can pick up in the bin outside my office. I will recap the questions you should ask here:

1. What is the subject of your paper?

2. Why do you want to write about this subject? Is your purpose to explain, explore, evaluate, describe a problem and propose a solution, or argue a point.

3. What audience will you write for? (Your audience determines the language and information you need from your sources. In this essay, you are a primary source.)

4. What question do you want your essay to answer?

5. What is the main writing strategy you think you will use? (Description, process or causal analysis, compare/contrast, problem/solution, classification. I mentioned that all discourse is argument, or persuasive.)

Bring the answers to these questions to class tomorrow (the afternoon class will do this today.)

Wednesday, we will work on developing an outline for our essays. We will also write a summary of the "Changes" song in the morning class. The afternoon class will write the essay after developing an outline. The morning class will write an essay in class. We will meet in the L-building in L-202. It's next door to the Open Lab.

Comments:
My paper will talk about a major change that happened in my life.

I want write about this subject because it might help some one else that could be going through the same thing I went through.

My audience I want to reach out to a rather broad audience.

The question I am aiming for my essay to answer is, knowing oneself important?

In this essay I will use problem and solution strategy

Tipton
English 201B
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?