Monday, August 25, 2008

 

How to Mark a Book; Index Cards

In the afternoon class we summarized the Adler essay together after reviewing the syllabus. My goodness there were a lot of errors. The syllabus posted Friday here is correct. I enjoyed the discussion of Tupac's song, Changes. Students offered thoughtful mature comments which showed an ability to interpret the text, read critically and understand the context the narrator depicted, even if the conclusions differed.

Here is the rough summary we wrote together:

In Mortimer Adler's essay, How to Mark a Book, he explains how to "read between the lines," so that the readers can grasp the information from the text (376). He gives examples of three types of book owners.

We found ourselves copying the author verbatim, so students were told to out down the essay and respond from memory or their notes. Thus, the jump. A transition is needed, but we didn't add one.

The one who owns the material is the active reader. And although, there are different ways to mark the book, how one does this doesn't matter as long as s/he owns it. Adler mentioned a couple of drawbacks, a funny one is, "You can't lend it to a friend [because] it would be like like giving your mind away" (380).


I changed this sentence and added "because" to make the two sentences one.

I gave students a copy of the Initial Planning Sheet and told them to fill it out for Wednesday, August 27. The topic is change. Change in your life. Significant or important change(s).

Students also listed five goals for the semester and then answered the index card questions for me on a sheet of paper. I don't have any index cards this semester.

I read over the index card assignment responses and quickly (1-3 p.m.). While your responses are in my head, I want to tell those who asked, that I am always available to look at your planning up to the writing process. I can help you develop topics to write about, if you ever get stuck.

I don't hold students' hands; I am too busy, so if you need this kind of encouragement, you'll have to start your own fan club. This is where a study group is most helpful. The best way to get my attention is to come to my office hours, or schedule an appointment if the posted times don't work for you.

You will certainly have an opportunity to make presentations and get over any shy feelings. This is not a forensics class, but I think scholars should practice defending their arguments or thesis, where better than with peers who you've had the opportunity to work with for an entire semester.

Let's see, what else? A few students mentioned learning disabilities. I hope you are plugged into DSPS or Disabled Students Services. If not, make an appointment. In college we want you to work smart, not hard. It's already hard enough :-)

If you are a procrastinator, keep a calendar. Even if you aren't keep a calendar and do not wait to the last minute to start an essay. Start the day you get the assignment. I also suggest students who haven't been in college for a long while to take a College Success Course. There is a free class offered through the Adult School and taught here. I met the teacher. You can email Ms. Jean Rowland at jrowland@peralta.edu or call (510) 748-2337.

For a glimpse of my style, read my welcome letter Spring 2008. It's in the January 2008 archives posted here.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?