Wednesday, August 20, 2008

 

Reflections

The first day of classes went well. Both afternoon and morning classes seemed engaged and excited about the semester to come. No one ran out screaming when I read the letter or shared the textbooks. I handed out the Adler essay for students to read, which looks at the importance of annotating the text. We'll explore this essay further at the next meeting. While reading, note Adler's argument when you find it. Look at the end of the essay for the discussion questions to help guide the reading.

Other homework is to continue freewriting about change, change in your life or change in the world and how that effects or impacts your life. Do any of these changes impact you in such a way that robs you of control, something that imposes on your ability to choose where you want to go, and what you want to do?

I remember when my mother left my dad I had to assume responsibility for my younger brother. I didn't have a childhood as a result of this, but he grew up and now I am able to do what I want to do. I made the choice, but I felt as if I had no choice. Sometimes life is like that, but the one constant is that nothing lasts forever and change is a constant, as long as, we're still breathing. Sometimes we get stuck and can't figure out where to go, but inquiry is an active process and often when we reach beyond ourselves or our comfort zone we find answers or answers come to us.

In the afternoon class as we edited my letter, we looked up coordinating conjunctions and I mentioned parallel structure. We looked in the Diana Hacker's Rules for Writers' index and then a student volunteer read the entry aloud to the class. I mentioned that Hacker was akin to an operating manual for the English Language. Don't come to class without it.

One of your classmates, Charles, waited after class and introduced himself to me and told me a bit about his ambitions. Please feel free to do the same whenever time permits.

I also told students, again in the afternoon class, which was almost unbearably hot--75 degrees--(The air kicks on at 78 degrees--I agree, crazy!)that we will write the "Change" essay next week in the lab.

For those of you who ride public transportation, you can buy a bus pass for the year in the cashier's office (F-Bldg. first floor).

While we were sharing this afternoon, one student, Yesra, was moved by Stephanie's freewrite about coming to the USA from Thailand, not knowing any English and how difficult this was for her.

This morning, Josh was moved by Ernest's reflection on his first meeting with his dad after a 20 year absence. Powerful!

Keep writing. Respond to the letter where it is posted. You can respond to specific aspects of the letter as well as to my questions. The syllabus will be posted by tomorrow morning, maybe tonight. I need to revise it.

The freewrite day 1 was to respond to Tupac's song, "Changes." However, your essay is not about the song, rather, as already noted, it's about personal change.

In the meantime, your textbooks are: Holler If You Hear Me by Michael Eric Dyson; The Rose That Grew From Concrete by Tupac Shakur; Afeni Shakur: Evolution of a Revolutionary by Jasmine Guy, plus a grammar style book, I recommend Diana Hacker's Rules for Writers (5 or 6 edition)it is required for English 201 A students, English 201 B students might have something else, which is okay. Students also need a collegic dictionary. I like The American Heritage dictionary, and a notebook. You also need a jump drive to save your work.

Comments:
The class was really interesting to me today, and I am so excited to learn new things, improve my writing and learn from others as well. When I read your reflection, I was so touched with it. In fact, I feel very connected to it because I can relate to my own experience to yours.
When my grandmother was ill, my mother had to leave to Qatar her native country to stay with her. In the main time, my father was in the United States working as a mailman. My parent's absense left my with responsibilties of taking care of my six younger siblings. Since I was the eldest, I did not really have any choice put to play the role of the mother, and the older sister as well. This experience was not really bad because it taught me how to be indpendent and look for others as well. However, things never stays the same, and change is always there in our life. After very hard six months, my mother came back. The following year we came to the United States and joined my father here. Now, I live happily with them, and my parents watch after my younger siblings, which gives me a lot of free time to spend with my friends, and focus on my school.
 
My name is Maria Tienda I attended the morning 8 am class. I was also moved with the story of one of my classmates about him meeting his father for the first time because after almost 20 years of not hearing from my father I finally got in touch with his side of the family this year they found me on myspace. I really enjoyed my first day of class. I am excited to see what the rest of the semester in your class will bring
 
The first day of class was okay for me. It was basically getting back familar with school. To me the first day is a day to get more familar, and comfortable with the class and it's instructor. In a way i kind of did want to run out of the class screaming when Ms. Sabir talked about the books, the homework, and the classwork, but i know it will better my education, so therefore I'm going to stick with it. Can't wait.....


Lauriel Solomon
Eng.201A 8-8:50
 
the letter that you wrote was interesting. I realy was in shock when ernest said that he just met his father for the first time in 20years. I really enjoyed class yesterday. Tupac really help me express my self and i really look forward to learning more about him in your class. i am eager to learn and i am excited to take this class

Julian pete English 201A 8:00-8:50
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
Class was quite interesting. It is great that we get to read books based on Tupac and such. Honestly, I hope that I will be able to enhance my english skills with the class. Your reflection was quite amazing because I can also relate with responsibility.

My father had left my family when I was probably seven years old, or probably earlier then that. A lot of people felt they had needed to take in more responsibilties for his absense. Throughout those years of his absense, I was raised to take more care of my mother since he was gone. Because of that, I did not have much freedom of being with my friends when I grew up. I still don't actually. Even when I grew to an older teenager, my mother still treated me as a small child as a result of me taking care of her. It is a sort of obstacle I am still trying to overcome, but it is progressing well.

Andrew Nguyen: English 201A
 
Nina Wooten
Eng 201B 8:00-8:50


My first experience in Ms. Sabirs class was very different from what I was expecting. I was shocked when we listened to a song by Tupac Shukar. He is a very inspiring person, but at the same time his words can be a little agressive.
 
The first day of shcool was amazing because it was my first time in collage school learning collage stuff. In class, i listen to 2pac song called changes and i really know what it really mean because i listen to that song a lot.My professor sabir is the best and i wish to learn as much things as i can from her and before i go. This will help me out a lot in the class.

Lou Saechao
english 201A
class 8-9
 
the first day of class was fun to me. People share their experience about something that change their life. it was really exciting to listening to other people's experience. one of my own experience happened to me 2 days ago. i was on my way back home from Boomers with couple of friends, at that time i was doing aroud 85mph on the freeway. then out of no where i heard the siren and flashing lights right behind my car. i just got pulled over for speeding. i was really scared because it was my first pull over ever. That speeding ticket has changed the way i drive now, i'll never go over the posted limited and i drive more safer than before.

Dung Nguyen
English 201A
Class 8-9
 
Thanks to the students who have shared their impressions so far. Keep writing, it's like a muscle...writing--the more you practice the skill, the easier and more fluent you become.

I was kind of scattered this morning, but I enjoyed our time in the Writing Center. What I enjoyed most was the comradery. Normally, you could have stayed after class ended and just signed in, but the computers were being serviced. I hope the techs fix the problem before we meet again.
 
Thanks to the students who have shared their impressions so far. Keep writing, it's like a muscle...writing--the more you practice the skill, the easier and more fluent you become.

I was kind of scattered this morning, but I enjoyed our time in the Writing Center. What I enjoyed most was the comradery. Normally, you could have stayed after class ended and just signed in, but the computers were being serviced. I hope the techs fix the problem before we meet again.
 
Dion Cade
Eng 201b

The class was cool today. I am looking forward to really dig into hip hop in this class. I was surprised that in this class we are going to speak on the subject of hip hop instead of some boring shakespeare or something like that. This class should be very interesting in the following months to come. I hope to have a better view of hip hop and also of course learn to write better.
I think the biggest change that i had to go through was leaving Philadelphia and also my mom behind to go to California with my dad and live there. This happened when i was only about three years old but regardless it was a big change. Not only changing houses and neighborhoods, but changing state to state and from all the way east to all the way west.
 
Jaliyah Davis
Eng.201 A/B
8-8:50

I really enjoyed class today... To be honest English isn't a subject Im to excited about and for her to choose hip-hop as our focus was pretty cool.. I have never been so excited about English but I am, and look forward to all of our future classes...
 
The first day of class was cool I couldn’t wait to take Ms. Sabir English 201 B class. I love her style of teaching, she’s straight forward and if she asks a question and your wrong she will tell you straight no that’s not the answer. She doesn’t beat around the bush.
 
The first day of class was interesting. I basically wanted to see how Ms.Sabirs teaching style was going to be since I've had bad experiences with a different english teacher here at COA. After being in class for just that one day I knew it will work out. Audrea was right! Ms. Sabir is a good teacher that actually teaches!

-Sameela Smith ENG.201A
 
Treana Penn

My first day of college was a experience that I won't forget. Was it like high school all over again? Only for the fact, that there I did not know were my classes were for the most part. There was no bells, no school security, and there is nobody to tell you to go to class. A new start to change my work and study habits. I have no choice to, because I am in charge of my life. My mom took me to school her oldest and I did not mind experiencing that with her. Only two familiar faces, because many of my friends are out of state or go to the other local community colleges. My Wednesday schedule consisted me of going to a new English class. I also went to Art class. I just was prepared for everything that was thrown my way and ready to make a hit out the ball park.
 
Lisa Ryan
English 201A
MW 1-2;50

I enjoyed reading your letter. I think it was very kind of you to give us a glimpse into your life. Your letter was so familar in many ways. When you spoke about your family members it made me chuckle because some were very similar to my own. I couldn't help but wonder why is she letting us read her letter. I imagine there is a lesson in this letter that we will see by the end of your course.

The fact that we are going to be studying Tupac was what sold me on this class. I thought that was an innovative way to keep your students involved.Everyone knows something about Tupac or hip hop. And for those who aren't familar I'm sure that their interest was peaked.

I look forward to a great semester.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?