Monday, September 08, 2008

 

Early Class

Today in the 8-9 class we read a few more poems from The Rose that Grew from Concrete, pages 7, 9, and 13. Students got into groups and discussed key themes or ideas explored in the poem and then looked to see if there was a stated thesis. Students then paraphrased the thesis and looked for evidence in the poem to support the claim (another term for thesis).

Homework is to choose one of the three poems, pull out the thesis if it is stated, then paraphrase it. List three pieces of evidence to support the claim or thesis. Summarize the poem.

This is due tomorrow. I'll bring in the projector so we can read what students came up with. Several students added the class late. Read the entire blog beginning August 20. (You can find August 2008 in the archives. It's a link on the page on the left.) If you can't figure out how to post an assignment, come see me. In the meantime you can email it to me and I will post it for you. I will only do this twice, because it is a lot of work posting ten assignments, which is what I had to do this morning :-)

What else?

Tomorrow: Bring in your hip hop culture object for the presentation. We have a library tour Wednesday, Sept. 24, 8-8:50 with Steve Gerstle in the Library. We will meet there. Put this date in your calendar.

Comments:
Lisa Ryan
English 201A
MW 1-2:50

"Life Through My Eyes"

Thesis: My heart will not exist unless my destiny puts an end 2 all of this.

The following is how I interpret the above thesis:

If Tupac can't do something in his lifetime to change the pain of being poor, of having too see some of the most horrific crimes that would frighten any man who is unfamilar.He feels that he was put here to make a change and if he can't accomplish this then the source of his being will die.

Evidence:

1.Poverty, murder, violence and never a moment to rest

2. Fun and games are few.

3. Cuz I realize I I must return 2 my spot in poverty.

Summary:

If someone who has lived a quiet life were to see the life that Tupac has lived, it would frighten them to their demise. In his life there is always something dark and wicked to see and it never ceases. It's seldom that he experiences the enjoyments of life, but what he remembers of the good times he cherishes it as if it were something of value. But in the end the time always comes when he has to leave his memories and return to the realities of his troubled life.You can make fun of what he has to say but he stands firm that, his destiny here on earth is to make a change and if he doesn't then his source of well being will die.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?