Tuesday, January 13, 2009

 

Welcome Students to Spring 2009

January 11, 2009

Dear Students:


Today is my older daughter’s birthday. She’s 30 and a student at Cal State East Bay; she graduated from COA a couple of years ago. She also worked her as an IT. She will be graduating in psychology this year and continuing her graduate work in counseling psychology. Her younger sister is also in this field, TaSin’s is art therapy. She has an undergraduate degree in Fine Arts Photography from the California College of Arts and Crafts. My degrees are from Holy Names College and the University of San Francisco. I have course work at the University of California at Berkeley also in Arabic, Linguistics and Art. You can read my profile on the academic blog: http://professorwandasposse.blogspot.com (Eng. 1A) and http://www.professorsabirsposse.blogspot.com (Eng. 201)

My children were raised in a single parent head of household. I was divorced when my younger daughter was three. I raised them in West Oakland. They attended Berkeley Public Schools where I worked at the Albany YMCA as a site director at Kid’s Club at Thousand Oaks Elementary School, and then for the Berkeley Unified School District and for the Berkeley/Richmond Jewish Community Center, and for Richmond Head Start. Eventually I left child development and school age childcare for a career in property management, and began working for Housing Resources Management as a clerk then property manager at Richmond Townhouses, Deliverance Temple and Acorn Apartments. I was fired from there and after a year on disability went to work at the Volunteer Center for Alameda County as project director for the AIDS Volunteer Clearinghouse. I worked there until the money ran out and then I returned for my master’s degree and worked for the Berkeley Public Library System developing community forums looking at how the library could better serve the black community called COIN. From there I went to Maybeck High School and from Maybeck to COA. I have attended Merritt College, Contra Costa College and Laney College. I have a state of California issued family daycare license.

I grew up in the Nation of Islam and went to private schools for middle and high school. I graduated from high school at 15, and then taught for 2 years before attending UCB. I entered Berkeley underprepared and had to take remedial courses. I didn’t learn what a thesis sentence was until graduate school in 1995, 13 years after my first college writing course. I got As in my college composition courses at Merritt and failed my college writing entrance exam at Holy Names. HNC has a policy called writing across the curriculum, so each class I took was an opportunity to learn to write better essays. I can’t say that I fully understood what this process was until four years later when I took a teaching writing course and learned about argument and exposition and saw my first grammar style book.

Can you believe this? I had taken courses to prepare for the Teaching English to Students of Other Languages (TESOL), received the teaching certificate, yet didn’t have the language I needed to talk about “the essay.” I say all this to tell you why I want to spare you this journey which was not skill based. I am going to give you the skills, and then you can forget them and do the work.

You probably have some familiarity with the essay or you wouldn’t have tested into this course, but I want you to feel more confident about what you know and the best way to accomplish this—I hope, is by demystifying the concepts and by giving you vocabulary to talk about what it is you know or need to know to write and read academic texts.

The college environment is nothing like what you experienced in high school, and the community college is similar to the university but there are differences. One is, the community college is smaller and your professors are more accessible—at least this one is.

I want you to leave this class with the skills to tackle academic texts, which are daunting for the underprepared student. There is a difference between reading for pleasure and reading for information. There is a difference between writing for the academic and non-academic audience. There is a difference between having an opinion and having an argument. There is a difference between knowing something and proving something, even when the evidence used is the same.

You are probably doing a lot of this skill based reading and writing already, but like me when I was 18, 19, 20, 24, 27, 29, 30 and 39—those ages when I was in college studying writing and did well because I liked to write and I understood the value of good models, I couldn’t articulate what I knew about the critical reading and writing process. I want you to get As on purpose. Like I said, I didn’t understand the technicalities of the writing process until a graduate student.

This semester I am going to try something new. Last semester, for the first time I noticed so many students without academic tools to navigate the institution, and fearful to try. I’ll say fearful rather than lazy. One doesn’t acquire knowledge without work. So let’s say they were fearful. I opened my door to everyone and couldn’t get anyone or few students to come to me to ask for assistance, to confer and see what they needed to do to excel. I attended a conference midway through the course and learned about a writing tool called Kurzweil which is a speech to text program which helps students navigate those text heavy courses, it is also a way teachers can share with students their thinking about a topic as they read. It is interactive and user friendly—again it is not intuitive, by intuitive, I mean you are born knowing how to use it, you have to be taught, but it isn’t hard to learn to use with one’s courses, especially the reading and analysis. It is also a great note taking tool.

I learned Fall 2008 that students really believe they can get through college and not open their books, or better yet, not own any. I have colleagues who don’t assign books any more. I do. I also expect students to read the books I assign.

This semester we are going to begin the course with foundation lessons from a text called: Stewart Pidd HATES ENGLISH, so that by the time your financial aide checks arrive and you feel like cutting classes, you will hopefully have the skills necessary to write essays and analyze literature and participate in critical theory discourse or conversations in class and on-line..

We live in a world which is becoming a virtual medium right before our eyes. My course this semester will look a lot different fall 2009-spring 2010, if my proposal passes the curriculum committee. Fall 2009 will all be hybrid which means you will have limited face time or face to face contact. This might be great for some learners and not as great for others. We’ll have to see. I’m flexible and so are the classes I’m proposing. So each student needs to access what type of learner they are. I can help with that.

Everything you’ve heard about me is probably true. I expect a lot, but no more than you are capable, and no more than the academic guidelines for this course require. There are objectives, goals and learning outcomes for each course you take. I will share more of this with you in the syllabus posted at the academic blog. I can even email it to you if you request it. I want you to get your money’s worth, but more importantly I want all students whom I touch to walk away with life skills which will enhance their next encounter be that an essay assignment or a traffic ticket they need to refute or a clinician who has forgotten who he or she works for.

I went to New Orleans over the Winter Recess. The calling card was an extraordinary exhibit called, Prospect 1. Visit http://www.prospectneworleans.org/ It was also an opportunity to visit family and connect with friends who are working to free two men who have served the longest time in solitary confinement in this country, Albert Woodfox and Herman Wallace, known as Angola 3. One of the men, Robert King, was released in February 2001. We were planning some actions for January-February to coincide with Martin King Day Parades, Mardi Gras, and Lent, to being attention to Albert’s court date.
Visit http://www.a3grassroots.org/updates.html

When I returned I visited for the first time the California Women Correctional Facility in Chowchilla, California, the larger of the two. It has a skilled nursing facility. It is also the facility where women are executed. It was an eye-opener. As I sit here writing this letter to you, my heart is heavy and I feel a huge responsibility for those without the ear of mainstream society. What we do as writers is so important, and to the extent that we take our skills and the sphere of influence we command seriously, is the extent to which we change the world for the better.

On New Year’s Day in Oakland, Oscar Grant III was killed. In New Orleans, another man, also 22 and a father, Adolph Grimes III, shot 14 times, 12 in the back, by undercover NOPD as he sat in his car waiting to pick up his cousin to celebrate the New Year. The similarities between the Oscar Grant and Adolph Grimes’ murders is uncanny, too uncanny. It’s a larger statement about the value or devaluing of certain lives whether that is GAZA Oakland or GAZA New Orleans.

As I walked down the street to the A3 meeting in the 6th Ward, I realized it was just down the street from Circle Market, a historic landmark—the place that once served as a trading station for enslaved Africans. I heard drumming as I turn the corner on my way to S. Robertson Street. It reminded me of what it must have been like in Africa, when one could hear live music coming from the homes as one walked, rode one’s bike, or drove by.

Virtual reality. One shouldn’t confuse this with reality, if such exists. When a musician tells me he plays a computer, not real drums, I think about the paradigm shift and the consciousness of the person speaking to me who thinks a computer generated sound is superior to one created by a person in real time.

It is the same with this class. If you aren’t committed to putting in the hours woodshedding, working out the details necessary to be a fine writer, don’t expect to pass the class with honors, or to pass at all. The application is one which combines virtual reality and the tangible reality we’re forced to address in this corporal form—a flesh and bloody reality. You will sweat and bleed this semester as you put in the hours, often when you’d rather do something else, thinking and planning, practicing and writing, reviewing and thinking and then rewriting.

Writing is not intuitive for most. Yes, there are those geniuses, but if you were a genius you probably wouldn’t be in my course. I do believe we all have our strengths and we are all genius material, some just have to apply more effort polishing spirit and stone and intellect. The outcome is the same for both students –the brilliant and the one with brilliance. Ultimately the journey is not as important as the outcome, but one needs to work smart, not needlessly hard. This is where I come in. I can help you identify which student you are, what kind of learner you are, what skills you possess and what strengths you can build on. Come to my office hours early in the semester to chat. Bring graded writing you’ve completed in past composition courses so we can talk.

We are not competing. We are sharing and giving constructive feedback so we can all shine together. This is a personal walk even though we are all here in class together.

There are standards for the course and for writing in general. One is the genre or communicative event (essay) has to be clear, succinct and say something. You have to have a point. The point you make and the way you present your argument, if it meets the form and the spirit of the assignment, certainly will vary depending on the experience and knowledge the individual brings to the topic. Research is important; however, life experience allows one to interpret information differently. We all have something valuable to share and to bring to the table this semester.

We do not exist in a vacuum and I think you are privileged to be able to attend college. There are many others who would like to be here but aren’t. As such you have a responsibility to not waste this opportunity and to be an example to others in your discourse community, your peers and even your elders. You have to demonstrate how knowledge has empowered you to make better choices and to take better care of yourself and think productively about how what you are doing for yourself right now, will better the community where you lay your head and by extension the entire country and world community.

You are not alone and everything is connected to everything else. Virtual reality is real and then it isn’t. We have to operate as if this is the only reality, this moment we have together and then know that if this moment is allowed to happen again that we have another opportunity to continue the conversation, to continue the work, to continue on the journey to happiness and the fulfillment of our dreams and aspirations.

Let me help you. I don’t like grading papers so we need to figure out how to address this. I suggest study hours. In the past no one came, but perhaps you are a different discourse community and you will (smile). I will be in the Writing Center (L-234 and the smaller lab) a lot this semester on Thursdays. I don’t remember the hours presently, so look for an update. I suggest coming to my office hours, but no one comes. Email works to an extent, but face-to-face is better. Tutors are great too, but no one gets help until it is too late.

Again, I am open to suggestions. I have hired assistants to keep me from getting behind, and I am going to try to do this again, but it didn’t work, my assistant got behind on her own work and failed all her classes last semester—not a good idea.

I give talks and workshops in the community from time to time and have a radio show. If you are interested in what I am up to visit my website: http://wandaspicks.com

I am teaching four classes this semester: ENG 1A, M-Th, 8-9 and 9-10; and ENG 201 A/B, MW 10-12, 1-3.

Required textbooks for my classes this semester are: “Stewart Pidd Hates English” by Politt and Baker, Barack Obama’s “Dreams from My Father,” Barack Obama’s “The Audacity of Hope,” Alehouse 2009: “Poetry on Tap,” “The Message: 100 Life Lessons from Hip-Hop’s Greatest Songs” by Felicia Pride.

All the books are not for all classes. Stewart Pidd is for all classes. Poetry on Tap is for ENG 1A, and The Message is for ENG 201. Dreams is for both classes. Audacity is for ENG 1A (don’t buy this yet. I might change my mind.).

Peace and Blessings,

Wanda Sabir
Office L-236
(510) 748-2131
professorwandasposse@gmail.com
English Basic Skills
College of Alameda

PS If you write me, in the subject line tell me who you are: ENG 1A 8-9, 9-10, ENG 201 10-12, 1-3 SPR 09

Comments:
MS. SABIR,

YOU HAVE DONE A LOT IN YOUR LIFE. MY MOTHER WORKS FOR ALAMEDA HEAD START(SITE DIRECTOR). I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO ENGLISH A1 THEN AGAIN I AM SOME WHAT SCARED OF THE OUT COME. I WILL DO MY BEST, THIS SEMESTER I REALLY WANT TO UNDERSTAND ENGLSIH AND BE ABLE TO USE IT IN ANY TYPE OF SEETING. WITH YOUR MASTER SKILLS AND MY LOVE FOR LEARNING I BELIEVE WE CAN MAKE THIS HAPPEN.

ENGLISH 1A
TIPTON
 
I would like to start by acknowledging your strength as being a single parent. This letter encouraged me to perform better this semester. Last semester I did not perform as well as I should have, I feel this semester will definitely be a better outcome. As Ms.Sabir mentioned in paragraph three that she did not learn what a thesis sentence was until thirteen years after taking various writing courses, to actually understand the concept on how to write a successful thesis sentence. For me to know this about Ms.Sabir gave me courage and motivation to keep trying and most importantly to keep learning in order to grasp hold the knowledge I need to succeed this semester.

My goal this semester is to gain better writing skills to enhance my ability to perform accurately. I love to write my problem is I don't follow the format. In paragraph seven Ms. Sabir mentioned a couple strong points such as the difference between writing for the academic and non-academic audience. This fact basically was written to illustrate how a writer composes for people and how a writer composes for him or herself. I learned from the past to not let up on getting my work done and completed on time. I’m really about this semester because I know for sure I will perform better than last year.


During this semester I will do research on whether it’s for reading purposes or writing purposes. I refuse to leave this class without earning an “A” on purpose.

-Sameela ENG.201B
 
I am sure that being a single parent you faced a lot of challenges, but you were able to overcome them in order to succeed. That determination seems to have led your daughters to also do well in their endeavors. Your expectations for us are clear and your willingness to help us acquire the tools necessary to do well in this class will be beneficial to me in all my classes and in life. Knowing you were also a student in the Peralta College District and went on to get your degrees inspires me to do the same.

Stephens
1A
 
Timothy Grube
Eng, 201B
Mrs. Sibar

Dear Mrs Sabir, my name is Timothy Grube. This is the first semester I have taken an English class in about 5-6 years. I feel your letter is quite touching and am glad I have the opportunity to take this class. I feel you do a lot of things to want to better man-kind, by using your talent of writing, and I feel we hold a similar interest. I do feel English is my most difficult subject, but I try my best to learn the best I can. Partly why I have not taken an English class for so long is because I get quite nervous that I am not naturally talented with English skills and actually have to work hard on trying to preform well; another reason I have not taken a class for so long is that when I was younger I did not preform well academically, and took my opportunity for an education for granted.
I was still living at home and had to attend school. My family pushed hard for me to get an education and I pushed hard back. I felt I was tired of being poor, and tired of my mother feeling like she could not provide for us the way she wanted too. She tried hard to give me and my sisters the opportunity that she did not have. I felt that I was not learning anything in school and just wanted to work. To make money for myself and my family.
My mother was a single head of house hold and had at lease one to three of us at home at all times which made it even more challenging for her. Since I am the eldest my family expected and still expects more of me. I barely graduated from high school, I am still almost not sure how I graduated, graduating nearly at the bottom of my class, literally, I skipped far more classes than I ever attended. I joined the army when I was 18 and got sent home for prior injury 6 moths later. I was hoping I would have a job and be out of the house. I was then back home the following year, and fell into the same patterns in college than I was in high school for another 2years.
In June 04' we moved to Southern California to my uncles house. I had to drop out of school, partly because we moved, and also because of where we moved the closest college was over 35 miles away. I was working in a Pizza house as the dough boy, and in the evening I would work in the kitchen of a private yacht club. I was making plenty of money at the time an had almost all of my debts payed off. A few months later I agreed to visit my father in Southern California and moved him to Colorado I had agreements after a moth of staying out there that I would visit a friend back here in Alameda, for vacation. One week turned into one month and for some crazy reason I decided to live back here with no place to stay, barely any money in my account, and my back pack. It definitely was an adventure trying to get a job with no place to stay, and to make it on my own.
The irony that everything I wanted I had, and then I gave it up for what reason I still do not no? I finally got a job and a few moths later my own place. I was not working as much as I would have liked and was getting definitely into my fair share of mishtift, so I tried to get another job. I couldn't get another job when I wanted so I decided to re-attend school, In assumption I would get financial aid. I never did get qualified for financial aid for some stupid reason or another, but since I have re-attended I am a little older, and have not gotten no grade less than a B and my share of A's . I am now determined more so now than ever to graduate with my transfer, and to transfer with high grades. I am interested in trying to better my writing skills and even though I am highly intimidated by English and my confidence in this class I am interested on trying everything I can to do well in this class, and preform as well in this class if not better than my other classes.
 
Dear Ms. Sabir:

Hearing you read this paper to the whole class. Why did you choose to give us a life line of you. I know this is a English class. And we will be writing a lot about different things or topics. On reality or personal accepts. Anyway it was good, just asking a question. I was raised and born in Oakland, from North, West, and now currently living in East Oakland. I am a single parent head of house hold. Which I had my son when I was 14 years old. Through all the trails and tribulation I made it through everything. Believe in myself and got through everything in life that came towards me.

Being that strong person and not giving up. I finish high school went into a nursing program and then years of thinking to go back to school. I attend COA in August 2007 and have been going every since. Was currently enrolled in a Dental Program, but couldn’t continue for this spring semester. Due to the hours they had, was not allowing me to go to work and I have to have my job. I only had this semester left and I would have been done with the program. But things happen and I am still continuing to attend school no matter what. Still pushing myself to go on and now taking other class and work on my AS Degree and what ever else come my why.

Anyway enough about me, I know I suppose to be responding to your letter. Through your life time you was a busy women. You had a lot going for yourself and doing a lot of different task of work. Busy, busy , busy. I see some teacher are making their classes hybrid; why is that, and why now? You have a lot of students who still can’t afford laptops or get access to a computer. Before I got a laptop, I found it hard to get to one. Even though I had access to use the school, I just felt like going home when I was finish with class. It made my day long when I had to stay over to use a computer and wishing everyday I had my own. Which now feel so much better and convenient for having a laptop.

I am going to say this; I hate English, but I will do good in your class and learn everything I can. Also try to become better in writing because it sucks bad. Doing this response is hard for me. Because sometimes I attend to go off the topic of what I suppose to write about and then dip back into the topic. While I look forward in being in you class and getting my learn on. And getting all the details of Enlish learning from you.

English 201A 10a/11:50a
MW
 
Dear Ms Sabir,

This is my second semester of being enrolled in College of Alameda. Also my second semester of being in your English Class, this time I passed 201A with a B into 201B. In the beginning, of last semester I did not respond to the post at first. In the end I started to realize how important it was to commit to every single thing. Your spring of 2009 letter for this semester's English class is very different, very long still, but different. Because, I did not realize how much you were involved with children and helped volunteer for community programs. It really shows how you are serious about helping us as well. Even though, you are a professor that is use to dealing with children, I appreciate that you treat us like the adults we are instead of children.

I don't understand how you were able to graduate from high school at the age of fifteen. The only person I think who did that was Martin Luther King Jr. or he graduated from college at fifteen. Either one of the two. I was wondering how that was even possible to accomplish. I will probaly find that out later.

I must admit that 201A was a challenge. The 201A was challenging to my self skills, knowledge, maturity, concentration and my goals. I always loved writing, just did not know how to process out my writings. I used to receive low grades in high school. Which I brought over to College starting off with a D in the middle of the semester. Then putting fort more effort and time. I passed your class with a B that gave me more confidence in myself.

Treana Penn
English 201B
MW 1-3
 
William Johnson
English 201B
1-2:50 MW

I agree with you when you were saying that the college environment is nothing like what you experienced in high school. It is way different from high school. In high school it was someone always there to guide you through whatever. In college you have to do this stuff on your own because there isn’t that person there to push you anymore and basically hold your hand. I had a difficult time adjusting last semester and I seen the difference between the two.
 
After reading this letter, I learned that Wanda Sabir wants everyone in the class to learn how to write a good essay, and to read a book without having any problems. I don’t read a lot of books on my free time or know how to write a good essay, but I am still willing to learn. There are not a lot of English teachers in high school that are willing to take the time and put in the effort into teaching English to high school students. There was one time I really felt that an English teacher put so much time and effort into teaching us was in my ninth grade year, after that year he left to another school to teach. Since then I couldn’t find another English teacher that is willing to put so much time and effort into teaching like him. Now that I’m in college, I have to start from the bottom and work my way up, I was taking 267B and got a “A” in that class, I like how she teach, so I took her class again and got into 267A. Knowing that there are so many people out there that are willing to take the time and teach English to us, I won’t be afraid of learning English anymore. In one sentence of Ms. Sabir’s letter, “You probably have some familiarity with the essay…but I want you to feel more confident about what you know and the best way to accomplish this…” with that sentence I feel more confident that Ms. Sabir is the teacher that I want to learn from.

Kelley Yuen
English 201A MW 1-250
 
My response to "Dear Students"

To Ms. Wanda Sabir,
Today is my first day back at College of Alameda taking general education classes. I've been attending College of Alameda since 2005 for Automotive Technology. It’s been a few years since my last English class so please excuse me if I’m lacking in the beginning of this semester. I am also working full time while attending a few courses here in College of Alameda. Meeting with you outside of class might be impossible due to my class and work schedule but hopefully I’ll find a way to contact you if I have any questions. This semester might get stressful for me but it is not an excuse to not to attend class or not doing homework assignments.

I agree with everyone that commented your Eng. 1A blog. You have an impressive education background along with a teaching career. I’m sorry to hear that you were divorced. It must have been tough raising your children on your own in Oakland. I’ve been living in Oakland all my life and I know how it is here. You must’ve been worried for your children’s future if they were attending school in Oakland. I’m glad that they’re doing so well.

I’m not a genius writer or reader. I hope I’ll learn a lot from you in this class and continue to improve my writing and reading skills for my future. Although this class might be challenging, I am looking forward to work with you this semester.

Sincerely,

Jacky Leung
English 201B, MW 1:00-2:50
 
Larry Smith
English 201 B
MW 1- 2 50

Dear Ms. Sabir

You mentioned you raised yours children in a single parent household in West Oakland and I no that had to be tough so I commend you on that. I was raised by both my parents in East Oakland and I attended all Oakland public school and believe me it was tough growing up out here. I think it’s a good thing yours kids attended Berkeley public schools because they probably have a better system.

You said how there’s a difference in reading for information and reading for pleasure which I agree with because most of the time I only read because its only a class assignment and sometimes don’t really pay full attention to it, now that you pointed it out I will try to take more focus on reading for information. I worked on that problem last semester but towards the end I lost it that’s why I’m taking part B of this class. When you said there’s a difference in opinion and argument using the same info that reminded me of an assignment I had to do like that in high school.
 
Today is my first day of college; it's a bit scary because it’s so much different from high school. I took a long break after high school to help my parents with work. I never thought that break could have me forget so much from what I was taught in high school. Now I sit in the class a bit clueless. Writing is one subject I am bad in. Ms. Sabir has attended many colleges and has experiences in child development, property management. I admire that, for me, I have no idea what I want to major in, I completely forgot what I have learned in school. I was always giving up in school and just never asking for help when I knew I needed to.
College is such a different environment from high school. Ms. Sabir stated "one doesn't acquire knowledge without work." I agree. Everyone will have difficulties in school and that is why there are teachers and tutor sessions. "I want you to leave this class with the skills and tackle academic texts," convinces me to not give up no matter how hard it gets. Ms. Sabir has gotten As in her college composition courses, getting an A in high school was hard for me, hopefully I can overcome my fear and get As just like her in college.


Christine
Eng 201B
 
Dear Ms. Sabir

Today is my first time back in College . When you was reading the letter that you wrote for us out loud, I was shock and also grateful for the openness of how you let us form an idea about yourself. That is something that, beside my writing skill, I still have to master.
I was born in Argentina, in the middle of a big and warm family of Italians. I was the first-born of the both side of my family and as the love was huge so were the expectations that they have for me.

Elementary school was a fun time, a little rough on the beginning but got easier with the time. I graduated from high school with honors, my class was well known for the impact that we had on our community. From workshops to sport competition we were so eager to make a positive impact in this world, and at that time I know that we did it.

Long was that time now, after managing my life to finally have the space that I need to study, I am back to retake were I left. I’m afraid of this class, writing in a different language it’s not comfortable for me yet, although I enjoy doing it in my native tongue. Reading is my passion, and I like to read what resonate in the moment for me. I’m perusing the A.A Degree and being ambitious I dream of becoming a clinical psychologist.

I was reading your letter for 2nd time and I found interesting the way that you rise your children as a single parent. As a mother myself is hard to picture al that effort that toke for you to archive your goals and also support your children’s needs. Make and impact on the world for me, start on the very heart of the family and extends to the rest. I ‘m

Thank you so much .

Miriam P.
English 201A
Spring 09
 
Linda Saelee
English 201a
Mrs. Sabir

I have to say you really impress me. You are such a hard working person. I really admire how you went to so many different colleges and are doing so much with your life. I think is letter is a really good start for all the student to know who you really are and what you expect from us students. This is my first time taking your class and I have to admitt I am pretty scared of the outcome. I prone to be very lazy and nothing motivates me to do any school work. I know this course will be very challenging because I know you expect a lot from all your students. I really need to learn now build up my writing and vocabulary. And I hope you could really help me with that. I am looking forward to working with you.
-Linda S.
 
I find you a very interesting person and I look forward to getting to know you this semester. It's
amazing to read about strong independent women of color. You raised your children alone and showed
them that you could overcome the challenges that you faced. You have accomplished so much and just
by reading your letter you have inspired me not to give up and keep pushing towards success. I have
been in college two years and at times I wish I could go back to high school for the simple fact I'm afraid
failure. There's so much responsibility that comes with growing up, it's scary. I don't really enjoy reading,
so by taking this course I will have to put forth the effort and push myself to do better and try to stay on
top and not fall behind.
As I read through your letter I took in all the requirements that you ask of your students, some
may say it’s too much but what you expect of us is clear and it will only benefit us. With your help and the
help from fellow classmates, we should all be able to do well in this course. You said that one needs to
work smart and not needlessly hard, I agree. To be in college is an opportunity that most don’t get a
chance to experience. So by me and every other student being here shows that we want to learn and
want a better future for ourselves and for generations that follow. “One doesn’t acquire knowledge without
work” words spoken from you, this helps me realize that sitting around doing nothing, gets you nothing.
Working hard to gain knowledge opens up so many doors and roadways into success. With that being
said I plan to stay focused and overcome whatever stumbling blocks I may encounter on my journey to
success and a better me.

- Brooks
English 201A
 
Sabah Said
English 201B
Mon/Wed 10-12
1/15/09



Response to your letter


To Professor Sabir;


Through out your letter, I have learned a lot about your life and who you are, also what you have accomplished. It seemed like it was tough for you in your earlier years when raising your children as a single parents. From attending to different schools, and working different jobs. You are really a hard worker, you kept on going to accomplish many things in life, which always led to you going back to school which I admire. I am also interested about you growing up in the nation of Islam. What was it like? Or what did you do? You kept going back for an education and that is never too late to do.



You were skilled and well educated. You got through life from one thing to another. I agree with high school being a big difference then college environment, but at the same time it does have some similarities to universities but also there’s differences too. I would say that your letter pointed out you struggling through out life. You worked so hard. Now Your daughters are in school getting their education in what they want to be in life and you have a career that you enjoy working at. Basically you reached all your goals and was focused to get this far.



This spring semester of 2009, I am planning to learn a lot. I am encouraged to do well and work hard. I want to be more skilled in reading and writing. I'm glad that you will be there to help me when needed. I’m looking forward to this semester and I plan on doing my best.



Sincerely,

Sabah Said
 
Keisha Simmons
English 201 am class


Ms. Sabir,

I am a single mother of three. Two boys, 17 and 9, and one girl turning two in May, but acts like she'll be turning 20. You remind me of myself in some ways, for example: determined, a fighter (not physical) but as to what you know you want, independent, a leader, a mother, a strong woman. I am looking forward to learning more from you and the class.
 
Julia Mc Donah
English 210A
Dear Mrs Sabir,
your letter to us was very interesting. i enjoyed learning alot about you. You have accomplished so much in your time. If i were to try to complete all that you have i would have become very frusturating.One of my favorite things to do is to write i love to write short stories, poems,and letters.I hope you can help me improve somethings, and break me of old habit that may not be that helpful. i also want to take this time and say thank you in advanced for all that you will do for me. i look forward to working with you and becoming a stronger writer.
thank you
julia
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?