Monday, October 05, 2009

 

Holler Presentations Assignment

Next week students will present skits drawn from various chapters in Holler. These skits and the narrative writing accompanying each scene will capture and illustrate dramatically a key moment in the chapter, and further proves Dyson's thesis.

You will have to take the scene and write it out, type the dialogue out--each time you switch speakers you start a new paragraph. You will illustrate your ability to paraphrase and summarize. You can also use direct quotes and use your creativity where needed to make the scene work. Each scene has to have a score, so think about music that works for your chapter...Dyson always gives you plenty of choices. Choose one song.

Also incorporate a poem from The Rose That Grew From Concrete in the scene as a prologue or an epilogue or within the scene itself.

I will assign the chapters beginning this afternoon and the presentations for the afternoon class will be Wednesday, October 14, and for the morning class, Wednesday-Thursday, October 14-15.

Thursday evening I will be hosting a panel on Women in the Black Panther Party at the Oakland Main Library, on 14th Street, between Oak and Madison. It is free and starts at 5 PM. The art opening is at 2 PM. If you attend and write something, you can have extra credit.

Comments:
Kevan Peabody
Sabir posse
Oct 14, 2009
Chapter 4 scene
The song I would use for this scene is changes.
Narrator - Tupac had an interview to talk about the meaning of the word thug, and what thug life is. Tupac discusses why he uses the word thug. Snoop Dogg the person interviewing Tupac asks Tupac many questions to learn more about Tupac.
Snoop Dogg – What is thug life?
Tupac – Thug life is the life I’m living. When I say thug life I’m not referring to Robbing people or hurting people cause that’s not what I am doing.
Snoop Dogg – Then what do you mean when you say thug life?
Tupac - Thug life is not being scared to say how you feel, its standing up for your responsibilities and saying this is what I do even though people are going to hate me and say it’s politically uncorrected.
Tupac – I feel like thug life is a stage that we all go through. The rich white kids go to military school and join the armed forces to become a man. For the black and Hispanics, we have to go to the streets and thug. Doing this was part of my progression of being a man.
Snoop Dogg – I agree and I can see where you are coming from. A lot of people think you look buffoonish throwing around all that money and having all those girls around you. How do you feel about that?
Tupac – I want them to think I’m Buffoonish. I’m being real. That’s what my life his like and I can only be real with myself.
Snoop Dogg – So how do you feel about the violence in Hip Hop?
Tupac – I think that hip hop as become intoxicated with danger but that’s real life. All parts of life have danger in it. But it’s not just Hip Hop that is causing violence. I feel like American society was built on violence. Starting from that enslavement of African Americans. America has always been involved in violent acts. Hip hop and gangs didn’t start violence that just what we all were brought up in. That’s the way it is. In my opinion America is the biggest gang there is.
Snoop dogg – How do you feel about the movie America Most Wanted were you played a gangster?
Tupac – I feel that the role was very easy to play because the role basically focused on what happens to me in real life. I didn’t really have to act anything. I was already used to being a gangster, and getting bullets shot at me.
Snoop Dogg – that’s a really good point you have there tupac. It has been nice talking to you and I will see you later.
Cry


Sometimes when I'm alone
I Cry,
Because I am on my own.
The tears I cry are bitter and warm.
They flow with life but take no form
I Cry because my heart is torn.
I find it difficult to carry on.
If I had an ear to confide in,
I would cry among my treasured friend,
but who do you know that stops that long,
to help another carry on.
The world moves fast and it would rather pass by.
Then to stop and see what makes one cry,
so painful and sad.
And sometimes...
I Cry
and no one cares about why.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?