Monday, February 13, 2012

 

Cyber-Assignment

Today the plan is to watch a film entitled Juvies.

This film looks at the incarceration of children in California. It looks at the effectiveness of giving juvenile offenders such long sentences. Does locking up children who break the law make society safer? What are the short and long term consequences of incarcerating youth for up to 25 years for first offenses? What do we mean as a society when we speak of rehabilitation?

When thinking about Robert "Yummy" Sandifer, how does he fit the profile portrayed here? How is he different? What solutions are offered or suggested?

Homework

Write a letter in Yummy's voice to Governor Jerry Brown on behalf of juvenile inmates in prisons in California. Include background on his life. The letter should be minimally 250 words or 1 typed page.

Perhaps you could start with:


13 February 2012


Dear Governor Brown,

I just finished watching a film, directed by Leslie Neale, called Juvies. I found the film really provocative, in that I learned a lot about my situation and how much control I had over the choices I made as a child 18 years ago before I was killed. Sitting in the way station between heaven and hell, I have had a lot of time to think. I feel like an advocate for other lost boys like myself, kids shown in the film like Duc's story which is so sad. He was brutalized by a father who didn't know how to use his words.

My story is . . . . You probably read about me. I am not proud to have made such a splash on the cover of Time magazine, but call it my cry for help which wasn't heard or answered. I am still crying from the grave, the statistics are horrendous and climbing to date.

Back to the situation in California's juvenile facilities take . . . case, why. . . .

Juvenile detention is a crisis in America and California is the leader in incarceration.



Sincerely,

Yummy

LESLIE NEALE
Director’s Statement
http://www.juvies.net/videoclips/index.html

"When I started volunteer teaching at Juvenile Hall in Los Angeles, I was naïve to juvenile justice, thinking children were handled fairly and with care, not only for their safety, but also for the safety of the public at large. What I found is that scores of children are getting thrown away in adult prisons instead of staying in the rehabilitative environment of the juvenile system, a structure originally designed to protect them from ending up in the adult system. The making of “Juvies” has made my life make an irrevocable turn towards correcting the juvenile justice system, making it one that is run with intelligence, responsibility and mercy."

n September of 1999, Chance Films was invited to observe a writing program at Los Angeles Central Juvenile Hall. What the filmmakers saw in that writing program inspired them to do a similar program using video cameras. They saw the need to give the kids in the Hall a voice that could reach beyond the walls that separated them from free society. What they didn’t know was that teaching basic video production skills and interviewing techniques was going to link them irrevocably to these 12 kids and a cause that most people would turn their backs on: correcting the juvenile justice system and making it one that is run with intelligence, responsibility and mercy.

The filmmakers were naïve to juvenile justice, thinking children were handled fairly and with care, not only for their safety, but also for the safety of the public at large. What they found was that scores of children were getting thrown away in adult prisons instead of staying in the rehabilitative environment of the juvenile system, a structure originally designed to protect them from ending up in the adult system.With the help of cameramen, producers, friends and a passionate nun, the video production class began in earnest in September 1999. At first, the administrators of the Hall were receptive, but cautious. After showing up two times a week for a few months, they realized this crew was really there to help the kids reach into themselves and out to others who were on the cusp of being pulled into the system. That didn’t make working within the system any easier, however. As the histories of these individual kids came to light in the class, the filmmakers realized there was more than a class happening here, there was a story to be told, a story that had the potential to impact thousands of people. They began working to garner all the approvals necessary to put these kids on camera and be able to use their stories to educate others about the system and how to avoid falling into it. The kids involved in the class were all chosen at random, based on very specific criteria:1. They had to be getting tried as adults;

2. They had to be facing long-term sentences;

3. They had to be under 18 so that they would continue to be housed at Juvi for as long as possible to get the most out of the class; and

4. The filmmakers had to get signed consents from the kids, their parents and their attorneys.The first group of kids was taught in the library of the boys’ school, with natural lighting and two cameras. This was the only program to allow a mix of boys and girls in the same class. Many times, the filmmakers would arrive prepared to teach and the kids were not available. Other times, they would work with only one or two of the kids. The participation of the kids was iffy at best, given individual court appearance requirements, availability of staff to be on premises with the kids and lack of communication amongst the Juvenile Hall staff.As time progressed, the kids were being tried, convicted and sent on to County Jail or State Prison. As the kids were sentenced to long terms and even life behind bars, the filmmakers were getting their own education. The naivete began to fall away and the truth of the failing juvenile justice system was making itself known. In May of 1999, high school student Duc was arrested for driving a car from which a gun was shot. Although no one was injured, Duc was not a member of a gang, had no priors and was 16 years old, he received a sentence of 35 years to life.Fourteen-year-old Anait, an Armenian immigrant, had been given a car by her parents. She drove two boys to a high school and dropped them off. The boys got into a fight with another boy and subsequently killed a third boy who attempted to break up the fight. Because she was the driver of the “getaway” car, Anait was charged as an accessory to first-degree murder and originally faced 200 years. She has since taken a deal and is serving 7 years.Then there’s Mayra, a girl raised in the gangs, who at 16 was asked by her gang to kill a girl who had broken one of their rules. She was sleeping with a boy from a rival gang. Mayra shot this girl, did not kill her, but paralyzed her for life. This girl was her best friend. Mayra received Life plus 25 years for her crime and had a baby while in juvenile hall. She has gotten to see her son two times since his birth. He is now 3 years old.At first the filmmakers thought these cases were the exception, but as time went by and all the kids were convicted and sentenced to adult prison facilities with long sentences, they began to realize this was the rule.

Being tough on crime is one thing. But trying children as adults, and dispensing brutal sentences that are shockingly out of proportion to the offense, is quite another. Most Americans would say this can’t happen here, yet for thousands of young people, this is the reality of the present day juvenile justice system, which has turned its back on its initial mission to protect young people and now sends over 200,000 kids through the adult system each year.

Comments:
Viola Merino
Wanda Sabir
English 201a
13 February 2012


Dear Governor Brown,

I just finished watching a film, directed by Leslie Neale, called Juvies. I found the film really provocative, in that I learned a lot about my situation and how much control I had over the choices I made as a child 18 years ago before I was killed. Sitting in the way station between heaven and hell, I have had a lot of time to think. I feel like an advocate for other lost boys like myself, like the kids shown in the film. Duc's story is so sad. A father who didn’t know how to use his words brutalized Duc.

My story went like this: I was born to a teenage addict. My mother gave birth to me at age 15 while my father was in prison. My mother couldn’t take care of herself, and she sure couldn’t take care of me, or my brothers and sisters. We were abused daily. I was young and I didn’t understand why things were the way they were, they was just that way. I wanted acceptance and love from my family, and when I didn’t, I found it with the Black Deciples (my neighbor hood gang). That’s were my training began. I stole cars and robbed on the daily. I did whatever my new family told me to do. Then my next big assignment came; I was supposed to shoot a rival gang member. I tried to obey, but I made a mistake and shot a 14-year-old girl in the head instead. The backlash of my accident came back on my gang, so they decided to take me out. They shot me in the back of the head, twice. You probably read about me. I am not proud to have made such a splash on the cover of Time magazine, but call it my cry for help, which wasn't heard or answered. I am still crying from the grave, the statistics are horrendous and climbing to date.

Back to the situation in California's juvenile facilities take Duc’s case for example: Duc is serving a 25-year to life sentence; one of his friends shot a bullet out the window of his car while he was driving. Duc didn’t belong to a gang, and luckily his friend didn’t hurt anyone. Now, his sentence: 25-years to life?

Duc expressed the emotional and physical pain he endured from his father during an interview. Duc needs counseling and guidance not a lengthy jail time sentence. As of now, Duc does not pose a threat to society, but enough time in jail spent with hardened criminals, and he could. This sentence is extreme, unfit, and unjust. Dealing with these type cases in this way will ultimately bring more danger to society than protection. I see this interview as Duc’s cry for help, don’t allow his cries to go unanswered.

Juvenile detention is a crisis in America and California is the leader in incarceration.



Sincerely,

Yummy
 
Myungshin Kim
Wanda Sabir
Eng201B
15 February 2012

15. February. 2012

Dear Governor Brown,
I‘ve just watched a film of juvenile justice system ”Juvis” directed by Leslie Neale, and this is why I am writing right now to convey an idea that you cannot hear from a report of your people. I was murderer and also a victim of crime 18 years ago. I didn’t grab a gun when I was born, but candy and teddy bear. Then I started grab a gun in my hand after realized that I was neglected also to face up big guys in harsh streets. I only needed love from somebody, but whom showed brotherly love were only gang members. So I devoted myself to the brothers (gangs); then I let myself gone too far, killed young lady who once was my best friend, and killed by the brothers after that. Watching the film, I saw so many kids just like me whose heart were torn out from their environment as teenagers. Some were raped, verbally abused, and suffered domestic violence. They were “Yummy” in forms of different individuals whom were neglected from our society as growing up. The true meaning of the Juvenile Justice system was started not to send teenagers to adult prison, but now the true meaning has distorted; teenagers who are in the system are sent to an adult prison without having filtering and become more heavy criminal by an education during incarcerated from adult criminals. Most of kids who are incarcerated are suffering from a biased proportioned sentences compare to their offense. There’s no need for the place where foundation has collapsed from the purpose. Watch the film,”Juvis” and get an idea of how waste it is to pour a tax money on the incarcerating kids, and cutting off budget from other departments. Listen to the story of them and you’ll realize how unfairness still exists in the century where people claim justice.
Sincerely,
Yummy
 
Hinok Atebeha
Eng 201 B
Professor Sabir
13 February 2012

Dear Governor Brown,

I just finished watching a film, directed by Leslie Neale, called Juvies. I found the film really provocative, in that I learned a lot about my situation and how much control I had over the choices I made as a child 18 years ago before I was killed. Sitting in the way station between heaven and hell, I have had a lot of time to think. I feel like an advocate for other lost boys like myself, kids shown in the film like Duc's story which is so sad. He was brutalized by a father who didn't know how to use his words. I like many of the kids in the juvenile system came from a dysfunctional family. Growing up in Chicago, with no father and a addict mother. In my neighborhood, what I seen every day was poverty, gangs, drugs, and killings. With no guidance I became a product of my environment, the streets feed me. The wrong people to hang out with were the ones that showed me love and put money in my pockets. Not to make any excuses but I can relate to each and every juvenile who commit crimes. When I began doing crimes I dint see them as bad, because I was praised for them. It made me feel good about myself for once. I didn’t know any better that was my perspective on life, be tough. Mr. Brown I just don’t understand the strict polices California choose to impose on teens. Harsh isn’t the word to even use, yes I believe that you need to be punished for your mistakes. However charging kids like me who have similar backgrounds as adults isn’t right. You can’t give up on the youth we are the future, a second chance is proven worthy for teens. From the film a good 90% change their lives’ and stay out of jail. So why is the state not running with facts. Is about the money cause jails are just expensive as schools if not more expensive. If I had been taught better I would a new better. This is a crisis; all those kids need help they are in need. When locked up in juvenile facilities, you see how they embrace new things. I see that most of my peers are in trouble because they lack the knowledge of what’s out there. Instead of opening more jails, why don’t you open more community centers, museums, basketball courts? Living in a low-income community really depresses you. If there was an alternative; like peaceful events and afterschool programs. I think I would have been alive right now, it has a bigger difference then you think. I hope you really take this in and think about it. Do you want to deprive thousands of kids of their future over a mistake? Also the innocent ones who were their wrong place wrong time. I’m a prime example of a kid the world gave up on and look at me now. My story can change the life of many kids and inspire them to be great. Change is possible with effort on both sides. May the future be much brighter I pray for all the kids going through it.

Sincerely,

Yummy
 
Rohan Maharjan
Wanda Sabir
English 201AB
15 February 2012

Dear Governor Brown,
I just completed watching a film called Juvies, directed by Leslie Neale. I found the film really provocative because I learned a lot about teenager’s childhood lives and their situations. I saw they started to joined gangs, robbed, and killed people at early age. I am writing this letter to you because it connects to my situation and how much control I had over the choices I made a child 18 years ago before I was killed. Sitting in the way station between heaven and hell, I have had a lot of time to think. I feel so terrible for other lost boys like myself because they couldn’t have a good life, good education and couldn’t spent time with their families. In the film, I saw a sad story about Duc. Duc got beaten very badly by his father and he complained against his father. Besides that, Duc is serving a 25 year to life sentence because one of his friends shot a bullet out the window while he was driving and no one got hurt at that time. Even though, Duc didn’t belong to any gangs, neither had he killed somebody but he was just driving a car and is still getting life sentence. In my opinion, I feel very sad for his family and himself because without any reason he got a life sentence. I think this is not a time to stay in prison instead it’s a time to have a good education, good life and live with your family. Each and every person has a dream to become someone known by his profession. I think Duc also did, but he got put inside the prison for life. Now, I would like to tell you my story about childhood lives and what happened to me in the end.
Basically, my name is Yummy because I love to eat sweet a lot and people called me by Yummy. I was born to dysfunctional family and my mother gave me birth when she was 15 yrs old. My family were a criminal because due to their involvement with drugs and gangs. They abused me daily because of drugs and gangs and I couldn’t get any love from them. My mother and my father were in prison when I grew up so my grandmother raised me. Later on, I found out that my grandmother had to take care of 100’s yummy and she couldn’t give me anytime so I started to hang out on the streets looking for love. I started to make friends on the streets and unfortunately I was hanging out with gang member. One day, I joined a gang called Black Disciples because they gave the love I was searching for and I thought they are the one whom I was looking for a long time ago. I started to follow their directions and did whatever they told me to do because I thought they were right so I started to rob, and steal. Eventually, I had to shoot gang rival member one day, but shot an innocent 14 year old girl Shavon in the head who was my next neighbor. It was just an accident and I didn’t mean to shoot her. I told my community that it was just an accident and I didn’t have any purpose to shoot her. Unfortunately, No one believed me and I didn’t have any other choices than run away. The police chased me daily and somehow I managed to escape from them. Then, one day the black disciples told me that they will help me to get out of this problem but they shot me in the head twice and leaving me dead. You probably read about me. I am not proud to have made such a splash on the cover of Time magazine, but call it my cry for help which wasn’t heard or answered. I am still crying from the grave, statistics are horrendous and climbing to date....
 
Rohan Maharjan
Wanda Sabir
English 201A
15 February 2012


Back to the situation in California Juvenile facilities, I personally request you to take a look at the Duc’s case because he doesn’t deserve a life sentence and he didn’t do any crime that harmed anybody but he was just driving a car. It’s his friends who should be punished not him. He is innocent because he doesn’t belong to any gang member and neither had he killed somebody? He deserves to have normal life as other person does and he should get full justice for it. I am telling you all this because not only him but there are lot of kids who is facing same situations as he did. Duc expressed the emotional and physical pain he get from his father during an interview in the film. Duc needs a guidance and counseling from somebody who can change his life better but not life sentence. It will suffer him a lot if he has to spend too much time in prison. As of now, Duc does not create any problem to the society but if he spends too much time in jail with criminals then he could. The life sentence, he is getting for his act is extremely ridiculous and unfair. It is because of problem in Juvenile System that they are giving him life sentence for no reason. I think Juvenile System should give him a chance to change himself by giving him good education and some time to spend with his families. If they are not giving him justice then why are they there for? Juvenile System was created so that they could protect these kids from committing crime. I don’t think they are doing right decision for him. Juvenile System should understand that Duc wasn’t fully matured because he was a teenager boy. Giving Life sentence for a child doesn’t mean is a protection to the society instead it is a threat to them they are going to face later on.
Juvenile detention is a crisis in America and California is the leader in incarceration.
Sincerely,

Yummy
 
Chanthavara Seng
Wanda Sabir
English 201A
March 13, 2012

Dear governor brown,

I’ve just recently watched the film juries directed by Leslie Neale I found the film very interesting. In which it made me realize what I was doing with my life. I had made many mistake and bad choice before my death. I know I was in a very bad situation at the time overtime the choices I made had caused my death. And by watching the video I have shared the same pain as the other juvies.

My story started like this: I am a crack baby. My mother was a drug addict that was pregnant at the age of 15. My father was still in prison while she gave birth to me. She was struggling to support my brothers and sisters. After growing up in this bad community, the only thing that took care of me was the streets. The black disciples were the ones running the streets and they took care if me. They took care of me so i had to return the favor for them. It wasn't the best thing to do but in my situation i had to do anything to survive. I had to steal cars and rob people on the daily. They would gave me some profits and send me off to do more crime. I was doing most of the dirty work for the gang. One day one of the gang leaders told me to go shoot a rival gang member. I was nervous and scared when i had heard about it. I had panic at the time and shot a 14 year old girl in the head. I haven't told the gang about it but the police had traced the shooting back to the gang. When they had found out they were really mad and they killed me. The story was so big. The story of a kid who had nothing to lose joined a gang and died made it to time magazine. Still till this day justice was not served and i am not proud of my actions.

So back to the situation in California's juvenile facilities takes young innocents teens to make them colder hearted with a criminal mind. These juveniles need to be in school of a program where they can be productive and safe.

Juvenile detention is a crisis in America and California is a leader in incarceration.


Sincerely,

Yummy
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?